Dr. Mike Okonkwo is the Presiding Bishop of The Redeemed Evangelical Mission (TREM); a versatile man of God with over 30 years of dedicated service unto the Lord. He passionately preaches Power in the Word to a multicultural and diverse audience with over 180 branches in Nigeria and ten countries across the globe.
He is an Apostle to this generation, whose life has impacted millions around the world. A father to many, and a pastor of many pastors across the globe, Dr Mike Okonkwo is also a dynamic conference speaker, crusade evangelist, author, television and radio host, a strong and respected voice in Nigeria, and an advocate of balanced Christianity.
Dr. Mike Okonkwo graduated from the Morris Cerrullo School of Ministry and the Covington Theological Seminary in USA, and holds several doctorate degrees and honorary awards. He is the Convener of the Communion of Covenant Ministers International (CCMI) a gathering of Pastors designed for Fellowship, Spiritual Covering, Mentoring, Strengthening, and Networking, through conferences, seminars and other interactive sessions. He is a co-host of the National Ministers Conference (NMC). He is a Trustee and also a member of the National Advisory Council (NAC) of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN).
He is the Patron and Founder of the Empowerment for the Less Privileged (ELP) Foundation, a non-governmental organisation committed to alleviating the plight of the less-privileged in the society through donations to hospitals, establishment of free vocational training centres, running free preparatory schools for students in the secondary schools, and facilitating regular public enlightenment campaigns on health issues amongst others. He also pioneers a scholarship fund for talented students.
With a pastoral staff strength of over 250 men and women, the ministry has several arms all geared at reaching the “unreached” wherever they can be found. To this end, the ministry has a Prisons Outreach, which ministers to inmates in various prisons and remand homes; Word Ambassadors-this group of people organises crusades in various towns and villages; and the ‘’We Care’’ Ministry, which ministers to the less privileged through relief items, food stuffs, free basic medical care, soft short term loans and encouraging petty trading in order to make each individual self sustained.
Others are Dunamis Publications, which co-ordinates all literature generated from the ministry, Maranatha Power Play House, which ministers the word through various anointed drama presentations, The Singles Fellowship, set up to encourage the singles on how to enjoy and make the most of their single-hood while preparing them for the responsibilities of the married life, and The Intercessory Unit, the arm of the church that is dedicated to prayer not only for the ministry and programs of the ministry, but for the Body of Christ as a whole and Nigeria as a nation.
Still in a bid to positively affect the less privileged, Bishop Mike Okonkwo in partnership with his wife under the aegis of the Women of Global Impact, sponsors free cervical screening for women in rural areas and annual donation of food and clothing to the less privileged women with particular reference to widows in the villages. A peace loving man, he risked his life to ensure the reconciliation of warring parties during the Ogbunike communal clash which invariably led to the sustained peace the town enjoys today.
Bishop Mike Okonkwo is married to Bishop Peace Okonkwo and they are blessed with a daughter.
- Morris Cerullo School of Ministry, San Diego (Diploma) 1981
- International Bible Institute & Seminary, Florida (Diploma) 1982
- International Bible Institute & Seminary, Florida (BA) 1982
- Covington Theological Seminary, Georgia (DD) 1984
- International Bible Institute & Seminary, Florida (DLL.) 1984
HONORARY DEGREES & ORDINATION
- United Christian International Bible Institute (DD) 1987
- Ordination Certificates: National Christian Fellowship Conference U.S.A. (1985) Church of God Mission International (1982)
- United Christian Church & Ministerial Association (1987)
- World Ministry Fellowship Shreveport, Louisiana (1982)
- Certificate of license: International Deliverance Churches Dallas, 1980
- Certificate of Fellowship, World Ministry Fellowship, Louisiana
- Scenic Center of the South Certificate – City of Chattanooga U.S.A. (1989)
- Associate Church Certificate: Faith Christian Fellowship International Church Tulsa Oklahoma (1990)
- Christian Faith University, All Nations Institute International Benin City, University of Benin, Edo State University, Friends University (DD.) 1997
- Award of Honour – Salvation Broadcasting Network
- Meritorious Achievement Award: International Affairs Leadership Golden State University, University of Honolulu, Ephraim Moore University, International Theological Seminary, Spiritual Life Ministries. Trinity College of Ministerial Arts (1987)
- Name inscription on Jerusalem 3000 Scroll with Number 6571 (1997)
- Award of Excellence – Ifite Welfare Association
- Award for Divine Honour
- Distinguished Role Model Award – University of Lagos Joint Christian Fellowship
- Bishop Genie J. Evans Memorial Leadership Award
- Kingdom Promoters Award
- Distinguished Christian Leaders Merit Award
- Kwame Nkrumah African Leadership Award
- Distinguished Platinum Award – Ogbunike
- National PFN Women Wing Leadership Award
- Grand Defender of the Christian Faith Award
- Daughters of Dominion Merit Award
- Leadership Publications
- Kings on Earth
- Faith Publications
- Faith is Now or Never
- Jesus and Now
- The Mystery of the seed
- Christian Living Publications
- Wisdom for the Day (Annual Publication)
- Overcoming the Siege (2010)
- It’s Time for a Paradigm Shift (2010)
- Living Aggressively (2007)
- Controlling Wealth God’s Way (2005)
- Obedience: The Key to Divine Destiny (1998)
- From Zero to Hero (1997)
- Are there Believers in the Church Today? (1997)
- Breakthrough on Your Knees (1995)
- Kingdom Prosperity (1993)
- Daily Seed for Greatness (2011)
- Presiding Bishop, The Redeemed Evangelical Mission (TREM)
- The Chief Executive Officer, God’s Army Bible Training College
- President, Communion of Covenant Ministers’ International (CCMI)
- Inaugural National General Secretary, Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) 1986 – 1995
- Deputy National President of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) 1995 – 1998
- National President of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) 1998 – 2007
- Member of Trustees Council Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) 1998
- Trustee, Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN)
- Member, Nigerian Interreligious Council (NIREC) 1998
- National Vice President, Christian Association of Nigeria, 2003 – 2008
- Trustee, Women of Global Impact Initiative
- Founder, Mike Okonkwo Scholarship Fund
- Founder, Empowerment for the Less Privileged (ELP) Foundation, formerly Mike Okonkwo Foundation, A non-governmental humanitarian organization.
- Founder, Mike Okonkwo Educational and Youth Initiative (MOEYI)
- Founder, Mike Okonkwo Football Tournament
- Founder, Mike Okonkwo National Essay Competition for Secondary Schools
- Founder, Mike Okonkwo Annual Lecture
- Project Forte – A channel for discovering and encouraging creativity in young talents.
- Chief Host of Breeding Leaders for Empowerment and National Transformation (BLENT)
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
- Nigerian Ports Authority 1964
- African Continental Bank 1964-1971
MINISTERIAL ROAD MAP
- Encounter with Jesus Christ – 1970
- Pastoral Ordination (United Church Of Christ Inc.) UCC – 1971
- Western Region Overseer 1972 – 1980
- Head Pastor, The Redeemed Evangelical Mission – 1980
- Bishop of The Redeemed Evangelical Mission – 1988
SPOKEN LANGUAGES: English, Igbo and Yoruba
HOBBIES: Travelling, Writing, Fathering, Philanthropism, Welfarism, Sports.
FULL NAMES: Michael Chukwuweike OKONKWO
TITLE: Presiding Bishop
DATE OF BIRTH: September 6, 1945
PLACE OF BIRTH: Oyi L.G.A. Anambra State
STATE OF ORIGIN: Anambra State
MARITAL STATUS: Married